Hunters Stew (Bigos) Poland's national dish, and one of the most favourite dishes. There is a variety in ingredients, some have mushrooms and juniper berries, while others contain apples, venison, lamb or beef. It is best made two days in advance and reheated on low heat before serving. This enhances the flavour.
- Melt butter in a saucapan and fry the onions until golden.
- rinse the sauerkraut in cold water, drain thoroughly and mix with the onions.
- Add the tomatoes.
- Chop the cabbage finely and mix in.
- Add the stock, stirring well, and then the pork ribs.
- Slice the sausage and add into the stew
- Allow to simmer on low heat for one hour.
- Season to taste.
- Romove from heat and leave covered for 24 hours.
- Refrigerate and reheat before serving. Serves 8.
- Note: If you prefer the dish to be more sour, add more sauerkraut.